Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thankful, Grateful & Blessed


I am thankful to live in a town where Norman Rockwell could have found inspiration.

I am thankful that seven years ago John Harney Jr. found me my log cabin on Dublin Road, which was the perfect house for me.

I am thankful that my neighbor Sievert McCabe has helped me clear some trees to give me a beautiful summer view of Sugar Hill and the Housatonic.

I am thankful that Annie and Greg Bidou opened Toymakers Cafe five years ago, which has become a home away from home for me and so many others.

I am thankful for Mountainside Cafe, which is always filled with familiar, friendly faces.

I am thankful to live in a town where you never have to eat breakfast alone if you don't want to.

I am thankful for Sweet William's Bakery, which has made gift-giving a no brainer and proven that a talented entrepreneur can operate a business on our Main Street.

I am thankful for Cookie and Erica, who oversee the happiest (and probably the most boisterous) library in New England.

I am thankful for being asked to serve on the board of the Falls Village Children's Theater, which has brought so many people together and given so many children self confidence and a belief that anything is possible with hard work.

I am thankful for Chubby Bunny Farm, which makes it easy to eat well from May until November.

I am thankful for Music Mountain, which fills our hills with the sound of music.

I am thankful for living so close to the Appalachian Trail.

I am thankful for living near a power plant that produces clean, green energy.

I am thankful to every person who makes a donation to the Falls Village Community & Cultural Center, which will be the crown jewel of a revitalized Main Street.

I am thankful that if I need to call 911 that I will know some of the rescuers (Jeremy, Andrea, Linda et al) coming to my aide.

I am thankful that Camp Isabella Freedman has made spirituality available just a bike ride away and brought young, idealistic organic farmers into our town.

I am thankful that I can buy healthy, delicious grass-fed beef from my friends Robin and Allen Cockerline.

I am thankful that I live within walking distance of Bunny Williams' so I could work with her on Sunday mornings on her latest book.

I am thankful that I can have my oil changed at Jacobs Garage and have a discussion about historic preservation while paying my bill.

I am thankful to live in town brimming with artistic souls whose creativity and ingenuity were evident at the first annual Scarecrow Contest.

I am thankful to live in a town where generosity of spirit is the rule not the exception.

I am thankful to call Falls Village my home.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We are thankful for Dan Shaw, for being who he is and reminding us of who we are.

Anonymous said...

Amen Dan! I'm grateful that five years ago I found my way to Falls Village and am daily delighted to call it my home and that in the circle of life, what often looks like the end is really just the beginning.

Anonymous said...

Amen Again! Falls Village is certainly a special town!

Terry Cowgill said...

Dan,

That's quite moving. I don't live in FV but have gotten to know lots of people who do while covering the town for The Lakeville Journal. I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

Terry Cowgill

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Dan! I am enormously grateful that you are the extraordinary Soul that you are and for my good fortune in getting to know you.

Unknown said...

Ahh, dear Dan,
This glorious piece moved me to tears. You write so eloquently about this lovely spot we all call home.
Thank you for being YOU. Mary

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.