Sunday, March 2, 2008

First Class First Responders


If you're lucky, you never have to call 911. If you're unlucky and must place that call, you're still lucky if you live in Falls Village because your neighbors will come to your rescue.

When I came home this afternoon and my carbon monoxide alarm was chirping away, I called 911 as the back of the device instructed and the Falls Village Fire Department and Ambulance Squad were at my house in minutes. As the guys checked out the situation in my basement and tested the air, Beckie Seney calmed my nerves and took my blood pressure and made sure I was OK. I was, because it seems that it was the alarm that was faulty, not my heating system. I feel extremely grateful to live in a town with such a responsive and professional volunteer force of emergency workers. Thank you all for your dedication and hard work.

4 comments:

Dan Shaw said...

At 7:15 PM, Chief Dave Seney called to make sure I had been able to buy a new carbon monoxide alarm (which i conveniently found at Stop N Shop)and that I was safe and sound. Who could ask for anything more?

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget my only ride thus far in an ambulance because of a back injury. I was unable to move but was otherwise fine. Zeke and I traded off-color jokes all the way to Sharon Hospital... not at all the way I envisioned such a trip... but a lot more fun!

If you ever need to make the call it sure is good to know it will be your friends and neighbors who are looking out for you instead of somene to whom you have no identity!

Noelle said...

Amen to that! When my car caught on fire in front of JoAnn Dodges house on Christmas Eve, the FVVFD were there in minutes, put out the fire, got the fire marshall to come for insurance purpose, arranged for the tow, and had me laughing by the time they left. We are fortunate indeed!

Anonymous said...

23 years ago my parents home, the one we live in now, caught fire. Within minutes the FV fire company, and three other towns, were here to fight the fire. I still remember my neighbor Bill Wood running across the yard making sure we, and the animals, were out then shutting all the doors to contain the fire. They fought the fire for hours and the ladies auxilliary and ambulance squad made sure everyone was taken care of. Someone even went and found my grandmother a pair of shoes (she was, of course, in her slippers) Some of these people are still in the dept today and the compassion and willingness to serve the community is the same today as it was then, its probably been there since the dept started. Lots of things change in FV but luckily for us the dedication of the people in the ambulance, auilliary and fire dept remains the same.