Monday, January 21, 2008

Let's Go Giants!

I have never liked baseball so I don't pay much attention to the great divide between Red Sox and Yankees fans. But as a lifelong Giants fan, I am suddenly aware that I probably live in enemy territory. Oy vey. I can't imagine that Patriots' fans felt the same elation as us Giants fans did yesterday as New York upset the Packers in a nail-biter that went into overtime in sub-zero weather.

It's made me wonder: Does one's identification with either the Giants or Pats have any larger symbolism about identity? Falls Village is a quintessential New England town but there are more than a few of us ex-New Yorkers living here full-time. The big question is: Will New England change us or will we change New England?

For now, I say, Let's go Giants!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A long time GIANT fan, I had season tickets until 1986 ewhen I moved to Maine! ( some people think I should have stayed there!)

I did not expect to still be rooting on the last day of the season, but I'll take it...

Go GIANTS...

Anonymous said...

Go Giants!!!
Big blue all the way.

Terry Cowgill said...

I am a die-hard fan of two of the most detested franchises in NFL history: Dallas and New England. So you know who I'll be rooting for. I'm just relieved both were not in the Super Bowl. That would have put me on the horns of a dilemma.

FYI- there are lots of Giants fans in New England, in part because there is no NFC franchise here, so by default the network affiliates (Fox, in this case) in such places as Boston, Providence and Hartford, carry the Giants since they are the nearest NFC team. So you are hardly alone, Dan.

The Giants are hungry, so I think it will be a close game unless Manning has a horrible game -- which is entirely possible given his record in the first half of the season.

Go Pats! Cowboys next year?

Kit Foster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kit Foster said...

I've always considered Falls Village in New York territory as far as sports are concerned. In the 1950s, you were either a Yankees or Dodgers fan - when the Bums were still in Brooklyn. There was no talk of Boston teams at all.

Big shock for me when I moved to eastern Connecticut in the 1960s, where the world revolves around Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins, etc.

Of course, we only had "local" TV, Schenectady, New Haven, and if you lived in the right part of the valley Channels 2 and 4 from the City.